Thursday, October 07, 2004

Romance

I don't understand why you think no one here has defined romance for you. No one here will ever define romance for you. Romance is inherent and visceral and a chemical reaction that effects every single person in a different way.

Like BB said: she & her fiancé find "The Perfect Drug" by NIN to be romantic. Now, I personally think that song is incredibly unromantic. But you play me a little of Steve Miller Band's "Take the Money & Run" and I'm in tears (literally) because it's so romantic.

My parents have been married for over 30 years. My mom still sits on my dad's lap...ewwwww. But, really, come on. 30 some odd years later and you're still sitting on his lap? That's romantic.

My point is, romance cannot be defined. It's that look that you and your significant other share from across the room. It's the way your heart catches in your throat when you spot that person unexpectedly. Romance is not so much a verb as it is a feeling. There is no concrete definition, because it is impossible to describe the chemical reaction happening in your body by the way that person makes you feel. It's special and it's private and it's beautiful...but not definable, and most certainly not definitive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, that was really well explained and helpful