Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A quick note about human trafficking

I mentioned in my previous post that approximately 50,000 of the estimated 600,000 to 800,000 thousand people that are trafficked for the purpose of sex are trafficked to the United States. What I failed to expound upon is the fact that normally the people who are trafficking those people are not Americans. They are from all over the world and they are in the United States legitimately (work visas, etc.) The reason the United States is able to accept so many trafficked persons for the purpose of sex is because of the market that the United States offers.

The people engaging in this market are normal Americans. Doctors, lawyers, school teachers, politicians, actors, pretty much anybody you can imagine, although mostly they are rich because it costs a lot to get good "virginal" ass (again, see my previous post.) As I mentioned before, as long as there are people willing to pay to have sex with trafficked people, the trade will not stop or slow. Most of the time people don't even realize they are having sex with someone who was trafficked against their will. Again, as I mentioned before, the trafficked persons are threatened with death for themselves and/or their loved ones back home but even worse than that, they are sometimes told that if they try to escape, their children will be trafficked all over the world and forced into the sex trade.

I would just like to reiterate that the only way sex slavery will stop is when people stop paying for it. I'm not trying to debate whether or not prostitution should be legalized. That is a discussion for another time. My point here is just to bring to your attention that you could be supporting sex slavery without even realizing it. Perhaps later I'll go into more detail regarding everything you could be spending your money on that could inadvertently be supporting sex slavery.

1 comment:

dangermama said...

Id be very interested to read that... makes me want to rent the movie and see it for myself