Monday, August 07, 2006

Reason #584 why I have one of the most retarded jobs ever

There was a situation at work this morning wherein I needed to diffuse some tempers. I was going back and forth between three different people via telephone trying to smooth everything over. As I was on the phone with one of the people, an associate of mine said one of the angry people was on the line but when she asked her if she would mind holding for a moment, she hung up. I asked the woman who was delivering the message to me if the woman that hung up sounded Caucasian or African-American so that I would know who to call back. Her response was, "Oh, she was definitely American." I asked her again if she could tell if the caller was Caucasian or African-American and she said, "I SAID she was American! She didn't have an African accent at all!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

she must know that guy that was in one of your classes last semester. i never knew it was common to confuse african and african-american. duh, 2 different things.

SerenitySprings said...

I don't know that it's "common" so much that I've had the privilege to know some really stupid people.