Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Discipline, committment, desire

Last night was the Dallas Theater Center's opening night of 2 Pianos 4 Hands. Becky worked on this show so she invited David and me along to help her celebrate opening night.

After a tasty dinner at Lucky's Cafe, we headed to the very chilled theater to enjoy the show.

First of all, the two actors were extremely talented. According to Becky there are only five groups of actors in the country that can perform this show. They were talented classical pianists and gifted actors to boot. It was amazing to watch.

The show was funny, sad, inspiring, and lovely. The actors were clearly enjoying themselves and could switch between playing many characters in the blink of an eye. The set was very simple yet effective and the sound in the theater was perfect. (I knew it must've been a good show when David leaned over to me and said, "I think my brother would really like this!")

What is particularly interesting about this show is that it is exactly two hours long with a fifteen minute intermission. The two actors are on stage the entire time playing many, many parts while playing many different pieces on the pianos. It was amazing.

The main thing I took away from the show was that no matter what it is that you want to accomplish in life, it takes discipline, committment, and desire. That was a line that one of the piano teachers used in the show to tell one of the would-be pianists that maybe he wasn't quite as talented as he thought he was.

I am really grateful to Becky for shaking me out of my M.O. of dinner and drinks, and giving me the chance to experience some culture. (And not the Harry Potter or sci fi kind!)

No comments: