Friday, September 29, 2006

Work

Three months ago my company was bought out and they warned us at that time that there could be layoffs in the future but not for at least 90 days.

Well, on Monday it will be 91 days and that is the day we will all get laid off. The vice president of the company is coming in from Kansas that evening to let us know the situation.

The worst part about it right now is that the company is lying to us about the situation. I won't go into all of the details because they are very boring but I will say that we are definitely losing our jobs. Some people have been with this company for years and now they're being treated horribly by upper management. They have also made it clear to us that they do not pay unemployment benefits ever. That doesn't matter so much to me because I only work about 9-12 hours a week but for some of these employees, this is their livlihood. I'm just really disappointed in the management of this company.

I'm having a hard time being upset about the fact that I won't be working here anymore. However, I am not looking forward to looking for a new job. :(

4 comments:

UnrulyDuckling said...

How do they supposedly get around paying unemployment benefits?

SerenitySprings said...

By offering us jobs at one of their other locations. Unfortunately, the closest location to where I live is in Bedford and that drive would not be worth it for me.

The interesting thing that I just figured out is that the employee 90 day trial period ended yesterday so they won't be able to let us go within that period.

UnrulyDuckling said...

One of the reasons that you can refuse a job and still get unemployment is the distance of the job from your house. I don't know the exact parameters the TWC will accept, but it's worth applying - especially for people who are losing their only means of support.

SerenitySprings said...

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to the folks at work.