Wednesday, October 17, 2007

There is something seriously wrong with our healthcare system

I've been sick for a couple of weeks now. Sinusitis, bronchitis, and ear infections in both ears. My doctor couldn't see me on the first day that I felt bad so I went to PrimaCare. The doctor there gave me an antibiotic, decongestant, and about three tablespoons of cough syrup. I had to ask for the cough syrup and then explain several times why I thought I needed it. He finally agreed to give me some, but only enough for three days because he didn't want me becoming addicted.

About twelve days later I still felt bad so I went to my doctor and she agreed with the diagnosis of the PrimaCare doc, only she gave me an inhaler too. I asked her for cough syrup and she reluctantly agreed to give me some, but with no refills, not even if I need them, because she doesn't want me to get addicted. I also pulled something in my neck/back from coughing and so she gave me a muscle relaxer.

When I got to the pharmacy I was shocked to see that I had to pay six times more for the cough syrup than I did for the muscle relaxer. Apparently the insurance company doesn't cover that cough syrup because, you guessed it, they don't want me to become addicted.

Okay, seriously? I can get an awesome muscle relaxer covered by insurance without having to beg the doctor for some feel-good drugs but to get cough syrup I have to sell my soul? There is something horribly wrong with this picture. It's cough syrup, for gods sakes. NOT vicodin (or something equally addicting.) The muscle relaxer is addictive too. Why was there no problem getting that?

People are stupid.

1 comment:

addie&daniel said...

people are stupid.... the main concern with cough syrup around here is b/c its used in making meth....